Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Drug Report - Connections they don't mention....

I just read an interesting article about how diabetics often have
"bio-chemical" depressions. Could be why therapy isn't making sense
to me. It really might be mostly chemical. Therapists say that is a
cop-out, saying it is just chemical is like saying I'm fat because
I have big bones. But why am I totally fine, content and well
adjusted when the medicine works? What if it is "just" chemical?

Also I read about a connection between Lexapro and blood sugar.
Could explain why my glucose readings jumped so high awhile back
and I couldn't get it under control. It was about the same time I
started the Lexapro. I wonder why I didn't notice that? I guess
because it isn't "supposed" to have that side effect.

I have cut my Lexapro from 20mg to 10mg over the last week. My
blood sugar numbers dropped to normal the last 2 days. I even had
to drop a diabetic pill. Hmmm. I was getting frustrated that my
diabetes was getting worse, and I had to double my diabetic pills.
But now it is going back to normal for me - the same numbers I've
had for the last 7 years. I may be back down to my normal 2 pills
in another week. I'm not getting worse!

I also read many reports from individuals that they gained up to 50
lbs. on Lexapro, and when they switched to Wellbutrin, the weight
started pouring off. I have my fingers crossed for that one. I'm
up to 200mg of Wellbutrin now. 2 more weeks and I will be on just
300 mg of Wellbutrin (no Lexapro). Hear that weight? Get moving!!
Your days are numbered....

The Wellbutrin is really helping my mood, also. I'm pretty much
fine again. I'm still unable to get to sleep for 2-3 hours at night,
but hey, I stopped sleeping so darned much! And I'm not so sleepy
during the day. This is an improvement. I also read that Wellbutrin
doesn't cause the sex problems of the other anti-depressants. If
anything it increases your sex drive. I'm not sure I need more of
that. I have plenty! But I think I'm heading in the right direction.

No comments: