Monday, July 17, 2006

Searching for Cool

I did have the good sense to stay in bed most of yesterday with my
knees propped up, and worked on editing a show, and then watched 5
episodes of the original "Connections" T.V. show with James Burke.
I've seen the 2nd and 3rd series, but not the 1st series. It is by far
the best, though the clothes, cars, and technology are looking pretty
funny. I think it was made in the late 70's.

Today was a fruitless search to stay cool. When I got to work, one of
the air conditioning vents above my equipment was out. After lunch
I had to go to the doctor for an ultrasound (to check on some fibroids
she found last year, and wanted to make sure they hadn't grown -
probably will be o.k. - both cancer tests came back negative).

And sure enough, the air conditioning was broken in radiology. It
takes about 1/2 hour to get the ultrasound, and both the
technician and I sweated like mad in the un-airconditioned room.

So I went back to work and not an hour and a half later, one of the
major air conditioners blew. The labs heated up so rapidly, it was a
mad dash to turn everything off before they overheated. And since
the lights were out, I was turning off about 50 pieces of equipment
by feel - trying to find the switches, and failing that - pulling the
plugs. Our lab guy told us the air conditioner guys might not show
up for another 4 hours, so we all went home.

By now it was only about 90 degrees out, so I think the worst of the
heat is over. The power at home held out, so it is at least cool in my
room. I guess that transformer they put in a month ago was better
than the others. I even managed to stretch and work out my upper
body. The knees will take a few more days to heal, and then I can
go back to the usual exercise. And the diet was going so well....
and life keeps interrupting it!

No comments: