Saturday, September 16, 2006

Battling Tech

After the 7 year old Cisco DSL router started crashing multiple times
a day for the last 2 weeks, I brilliantly thought - "I'll buy a new,
modern DSL router!" Keeping up with the times, you know.

So I spent the whole evening try to get the new one to work.
I configured it exactly like the old router, and voila! It won't connect
to the ISP. So mailed the ISP's tech support all my settings and
they are right. Grrrr. I haven't a clue, and I'm crabby that I was
defeated by a simple router. Why is it every time I replace any
computer or anything in my network, it is a 2 day battle to get it
to work?

And I do this for a living. How do non-technical people even live
with computers? If I were them, I'd throw them all out the window.
For me, it is just like another day at work....

2 comments:

Big Phil said...

How do non-technical people live
with computers?
I could write a book about this topic.
I spoke to a client the other day that referred to her monitor as a "TV" and the keyboard as a "Typewriter".
And that was just the beginning of the call.

David Cummer said...

Well, having lived on both sides of the "tech/non tech" battlefield, all I can tell you is that it's been interesting.

(I did tell you about the horror I felt when I got the online customer service position at Wells Fargo, and realized that I'd be on the otherside of the phone when someone called for tech support. And "tech support" often translated into "hand holding".