Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Karma, don't be a stranger

Why am I struggling with the concept of Karma, lately?
Not in the classical sense, where it determines your next lifetime,
but in the popular sense, where what you put into life determines
what you get back out of it.

I don't really believe in it. Nothing in my life has proven its existence.
It seems quite the opposite happens. But I can't seem to let go of it.
It is one of those ideas that seems so right.

Good things should happen to people who help and care for others.
Bad things should happen to people who hurt people.
Why do bad people go on to get all the things they want, then?
Why do they get away with inflicting pain, unscathed, while the good
ones suffer so much?

Is it because those who do good have a conscience, and those that
don't aren't prone to suffering, because they just don't care or don't
take responsibility for their actions? No conscience, no pain?

Why isn't there Karma in this lifetime?
And if there is, why can't I see it?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, where does the positive energy you give to others fit in?

What about the feeling of hope, accomplishment or joy you get WHILE helping someone else?

I've said before sometimes its the journey and not the destination. this could be another example...

T****

Anonymous said...

I dont believe in Karma at all- There seems so little evidence that it really works, and if it did, I couldnt help but think god was being a bit spiteful

Susan Grandys said...

A spiteful god - now that is scary. Would explain a lot, though, wouldn't it!

Susan Grandys said...

To T****
I don't know. I feel like I give a lot of "positive energy" and mostly I just feel drained. I think you are supposed to get some back....

BTW - when are you going to give in and do my show? ;-) I think you would be spectacular.

Manly Geek said...

In view of eternity, this life isn't even a blip.

Susan Grandys said...

Yeah, but it is a pretty darned big blip in MY life! :) :)

Manly Geek said...

Yes, this of course is always the sticking point. On this side of eternity, it seems like all we have. But then the tyranny of the immediate is a tyranny none the less. If for this life only we live, I think there is no meaning to fuel our hope. "Vanity of Vanities, all is vanity"