Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Oozing into another decade

So the day approaches... I'm going out tonight, to celebrate my
birthday of tomorrow. This is a weird one for me. I will be 50
tomorrow. A half a fricken century! How do you conceptually
even deal with that? I feel pretty much like I did when I was 30.
I certainly don't act any differently. I look about the same as I
did at 35. I can't seem to wrap my head around this one.
I don't know HOW to be 50!

So being me, I figure I'll re-define what it means to be that age.
Everyone seems to think that is so old, except people older :)
Until they meet me, and they have a heck of a time treating me like
an old lady. I'm out there partying with them, and I'm pretty silly,
and like all the same things. They all think I'm about 35 until I
tell them, and then they freak out. Sometimes that is fun.
Sometimes it just makes me feel old :(

The younger people I work with and hang out with, say I give them
hope that you don't have to be an old fart at that age. That you really
are allowed to still go out and have fun, that you can look, act, and
think young, that you can like the same things you liked at 20 if you
want to. You don't have to be old and conservative and can be pretty
cool. You can play video games, watch cartoons, go to amusement
parks, dance at punk shows, whatever you like! Great, so I'm a role
model.....for staying the same kind of dork you always were.
Cheers!

2 comments:

Myra said...

Happy birthday, Susan! I'm 52, and as I approached 50, it scared me quite a bit, because I remembered my mother telling me she didn't feel old until she hit 50. But most of the time, I feel like you do -- like I'm a lot younger than my years. And people think I'm younger than I am, too -- I love shocking them when I tell them how old I am! So rock on -- enjoy yourself! I really do think age is as much attitude as anything else, so have a ball!

Big Phil said...

I never plan to act like an old fart, even though I sometimes feel like one!

Happy birthday!