Thursday, March 22, 2007

Musing about jobs

Racing for the finish line. Trying to do too much into the
last 2 days at work and getting worn out. But now there is just
tomorrow and then it will just have to wait. I can't remember
the last time I've had 2 weeks off from work! Many years.
I think I'll have to make taking real time off a new habit.

At one point today, I was so overwhelmed at work, even though
I do really like my job, that I said to a friend, "I'm actually
looking forward to sitting on a plane for 13 hours with nothing
to do!". I'd been dreading it, but it sounds kind of heavenly to
me at the moment. But I'll probably be bored after about 2 hours
of that.

What else is up...? I did walk last night and tonight. It is
wonderful to walk again. I'm definitely in a lot less pain and
a lot more mobile. I don't feel sick all the time, as I have for
the last few months.

Also there were layoffs at my old job. I knew they were
coming. It seems that it always happens about 1 1/2 years
after a company is bought. Just making sure one old friend
who got it, is o.k. I wonder if layoffs are ultimately worth
it to any company? Or does the morale loss or depression
for those that are left counterbalance any monetary benefits?

It seems when ever a company is in that mode, it is writing on
the wall that things will only get worse. The company or at
least the division is on a decline. Has anyone every went through
one, where things actually got better? I'd love to know.

No comments: