Friday, July 27, 2007

Reading in the afterlife

My head hurts. I am studying grid computing or high
performance computing for a project at work, and it is
a tough subject. I'm glad a friend at my last job used
to talk to me about the subject, (he was interested in
it) or I wouldn't have a clue what I am reading.

Power was restored at my house around 9pm last night.
I finished the Harry Potter book, and am satisfied with it,
but I was hungry for more.

So I picked up Mr. Monday by Garth Nix, which was laying
about the house. I was captivated immediately and couldn't
put it down. It is very offbeat and amazingly imaginative.
The hero is a boy with severe asthma, and whenever he had
an attack in the book, I could feel my lungs seizing up
in sympathy. Maybe asthmatics shouldn't read about other
asthmatics!

Of course, only the first 5 books are out, so I'll have
another series that I have to wait a year between each
of the last two books. I figure I'll have to live at least
that long. I have a friend who died of cancer a couple of
years ago, and she was mad that she wouldn't get to see
how Harry Potter turned out.

Makes me really hope there is an afterlife, and you get
to read there.

No comments: