Tuesday, August 28, 2007

You call that freedom?!

I was in the bathroom at work today, deep in thought on some
technical problem, when for the 1st time in 2 years, I noticed
the tampon dispenser. It had bold letters on it "Freedom of
Choice". And a picture of a woman with an armful of roses.

It actually threw me. I stood there and pondered it for a
minute or two. Was the "freedom" that you could choose a
pad or a tampon? A choice of two things. Is that freedom?
What the heck does that have to do with freedom, anyways?
It didn't make me feel free. I passed it off to ostentatious
advertising.

The smiling, pretty woman with the roses also gave me pause.
If you've had a period, you usually aren't smiling. And
you certainly don't smell like roses, nor do you want to
go gather any. I really was trying to understand why they
put the things they did on the dispenser, and failing.

At this point it was a struggle to get back to the technical
problem I was supposed to be thinking about. One should not
be so easily foiled by these clever advertising boxes....

No comments: