Thursday, February 19, 2009

What is good?

I was driving home after an exhausting day at work, my head cold
still in full force, and I suddenly asked myself "Am I a good
person?"

Maybe it was because of my head full of congestion, but I wasn't
sure I knew the answer. I've always considered myself a good
person, but then I started wondering what "good" meant to me.

Lots of people consider themselves good, even the worst of the
religious fanatics, or corrupt politicians. Does good only
matter to the individual, or is there really a higher standard
we should consider ourselves against?

I'm generally harmless, I try to be nice and helpful to people.
But I haven't really done anything great for the world. I
don't do volunteer work, I just work, buy things, and mostly
stay out of everyone's way. But that could hardly be considered
"good". Mother Theresa, I'm not.

So now I'm left wondering what the heck I am here for?
I really don't expect an answer, I just wish I had done a little
more for the world. And maybe even done a little better taking
care of myself.

Hmmmm. Weighty subjects when one is full of snot.

2 comments:

mikkie said...

This post sounds so much like one I just wrote, except that my question was framed in terms of "Do I matter? Will anyone remember me?" But the bigger question is the same as yours -- why am I here?

Susan Grandys said...

The scary part is I don't think most people ever get an answer to these questions. I don't mind asking them, but it bothers me that I'll die still wondering the same things.